Jul 24, 2006

Can't Bring On A Substitute

"Before, when people had secrets they didn't want to share, they'd climb a mountain. They'd find a tree and carve a hole in it, and whisper the secret into the hole, then cover it up with mud. That way, nobody else would ever discover it.

I once fell in love with someone. After a while, she wasn't there. I went to 2046, I thought she might be waiting for me there. But I couldn't find her. I can't stop wondering if she loved me or not, but I never found out. Maybe her answer was like a secret, that no one else would ever know."

"Love is all a matter of timing. It's no good meeting the right person too soon or too late."

"When you don't take "no" for an answer, there is still a chance you'll get what you want. "

"Do you remember you asked me if there was anything I wouldn't lend? I've given it a lot of thought and now I know there is one thing I'll never lend to anyone."

I might as well quote the whole script. This movie haunts you and claims you. It's as ephemeral and colorful as a peony bloom, as slow and sumptuous as a Chinese meal. One of most penetrating moments for me was when the female android made a circle with her thumb and forefinger and said: 'I'll be your tree'. I didn't want to cry while I was watching it, over and over again.

All memories are traces of tears.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Found your blog when I searched for 2046 quotes. Very nice articles even if some are not in English. Keep it up. :)