Jan 17, 2008

The List, the Spam

My totally subjective list of top ten (mostly obscure) albums - 2007.

1. Amorphis - Silent Waters
3. Viikate - Marraskuun Laulaja I and II
4. Serj Tankian - Elect the Dead
5. Mind's Eye - A Gentleman's Hurricane
6. Riverside - Rapid Eye Movement
7. Circus Maximus - Isolate
8. Ulver - Shadow of the Sun
9. Devin Townsend - Ziltoid the Omniscient
10. Fair to Midland - Fables of a Mayfly: What I Tell You Three Times Is True.

Pain of Salvation - Scarsick is one of the best albums, but I included it in the 2006 list. Which reminds me that there will be no surprises this year - most definitely, positively, undoubtedly, the top 2008 album will be Ayreon - 01011001:)

Honorable mentions are in fact 'great albums from great bands, only I enjoy their earlier stuff so much, that I was let down a bit':

Porcupine Tree - Fear of a Blank Planet
Symphony X - Paradise Lost
Dream Theater - Systematic Chaos.

Other bands I discovered in 2007. Better late than never:P

Wuthering Heights, Communic, Nevermore, Apulanta, Wintersun, Orphaned Land. I'm probably missing something.

Half of top 10 list is also new stuff. I know, I know, I've been listening to excessive quantities of music. Indeed, the number of scrobbled tracks on last.fm is over 60,000. That's what non-smoking does to addicts.


No comments: