Apr 26, 2006

Dreams. Yes. Dreams.

Take me to the forest, take me to the sea,
Take me anywhere as long as you take me
Pain of Salvation

This is the greenest forest you've ever seen. With the loveliest trees, the softest grass and moss. Now imagine the forest rotate and turn into a steep slope. The trees open to form a trail. The trail transforms into a stream bed, scattered with glittering white stones. Then, out of nowhere, water gushes and floods the stones, the moss…

This is my path. This is the kayaking route. Instead of craggy rocks on both sides are the trees, their brownish bark almost unseen in the mass of greenery. I am in a tiny little boat at the top of the hill, ready to plunge. I’m doing it of my own volition, enticed by the long and almost vertical drop. Danger beckons me, green brilliance dazzles me.

And the next thing I know I am flying down, wind in my hair, gripping the sides of the boat, almost screaming with delight. Then the water is gone and I’m flying on a kind of invisible field through which I can still see the white stones. I am close enough to the ground to be scared of hitting it, but for some reason I’m not.

Suddenly, I realize I’m not alone in the boat. And here the dream turns wild, reality trickles in, and I remember I wanted to dream this before I fell asleep. (Yeah, first attempt at lucid dreaming, first success! Phear my mind power:D) I don’t recall what he said but I remember how he touched my lips with his fingers and looked at me, long and hard. I remember his embrace as the boat tumbled and hit the trees and the stones repeatedly, until it landed on forbidden ground and police came to question us. Finally, we were free to go, and here the memory ends.

What’s the use of dream recall? I still ache at the beauty of the emotion, but I know at the end of the day it will be gone. Now I can talk of synapses and REM, but I choose not to. Scientific research explains phenomena but cannot (and should not) take the mystery away. Dreams make us aware that we’re not just balls of clay rotating around the sun. They provide an alternative reality, they heal us (especially nightmares), inspire us (ask poets), and, very rarely, spur us to action. I dreamt of my apartment the night after I first saw it with the real estate agent. And I signed the preliminary contract on the next day.^_^ But this is an exception. Don’t try this at home;)

Do I want to pursue last night’s dream? Will I say 'music is best', over and over again?
I close my eyes.


No comments: