Jan 17, 2006

Out, out, brief candle!

I am not careful about details. So when tagging my list of albums for the last.fm community, I found that the name of James Blunt album is not Out of Bedlam, but Back to Bedlam. Bedlam has two meanings:

  1. A place or situation of noisy uproar and confusion.
  2. often Bedlam Archaic. An insane asylum.
Which probably signifies that my subconscious desire is to go slightly less mad. Or, more likely, I was thinking of including another album in the list: Audioslave - Out of Exile.

On signifying:

Out, out, brief candle!
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage
and then is heard no more. It is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

William Shakespeare, Macbeth

This quote (without the first line) is also the motto of The Sound and the Fury by William Faulkner which I read when I was a teenager. Incidentally, Macbeth is one of Shakespeare's plays I've read more than once.

This is just a post to correct the name of the album:) If that doesn't make you listen to James Blunt, nothing will. And to the other runner up in my list, Paradise Lost with their 2005 album, which right now I place on top of the list. I'll say it in two words: In-credible.


No comments: