Jun 22, 2006

Precious Gift

Depeche Mode gave a stunning performance last night in Sofia. I loved everything: the sound, the light effects, the shining ball where the words Sex Pain Angel Love lit successively, and other words appeared alluding to the current song. A creature of language, me.

Dave was not as old as I thought he would be, and he waved the mike stand in classic 80s style. It must be a burden to spend so many years writing music, which has to be both the same you've made before, and yet new. Their latest album, Playing the Angel, is a good example that the mission is possible. Respect.

The crowd was different from the usual crowd I see at concerts. Many short-haired guys, for one thing:) I was moved by a lady who said she cried when Depeche Mode appeared, she had loved them for 20 years. Sometimes other people's dreams can touch me. As a moderate fan of Depeche Mode, I went to the concert courtesy of a friend who was too sick to go. Thanks again, M. IOU, for too many things.

The return from the concert was an apocalypse of bodies, smells, absence of taxis and Bulgarian pop folk in the final taxi which took me home. Red shaking tomatoes, and stuff like that. Eclectic, huh?

No comments: