Jun 16, 2006

Another St Augustine Fan

"Grant me chastity and continence, but not yet"
St Augustine of Hippo


Give Me (Not Yet)

(c) Gom Jabbar 2005

you call my lifestyle a mistake
cause you crashed your car
some years ago
and regretted every dent
you believe I'll never break
if I didn't do any of the things
you did to end up spent


but maybe a wasted mind
is life as usual
and maybe a shattered heart
is the only heart to be had


so let me earn my own blues
let me shed my own skins
yes it's true i'm confused
but all I ask of you is

R:
give me chastity
unbroken clarity
a smooth reality
enchanted sanity

but don't give them now
i don't need them yet
but don't give them now
i don't need them yet

and to think I was afraid that
it'll never be my turn
as if you can contain
the baby in a cradle
and the ashes in an urn

and maybe no control
is just life as usual
maybe an endless fall
is the same as flying high

so let me wear my own shoes
and commit my own sins
yes it's true I'm confused
but all I ask of you is


R: repeated

don't be so unforgiving

(give me chastity
untainted modesty
a break from vanity
a high morality

but don't give them now
i don't want them yet
but don't give them now
i don't want them yet)

A year ago I wrote:

I am like an old battered and scarred warrior on a quest, who's been through hundreds of battles, most of which he lost. There is still a long way to go, he's got a lot of experience, his level is high, but his health is failing, and he badly needs a rest. What I need is a night at an inn, some ale, and a bard singing. Ok, maybe a dancer or two to feast my eyes upon. Will anyone dance for me?

That was even before I played a warrior:)

No comments: