Nov 15, 2005

Horrors and Nightmares

Passibility - the capability of feeling and suffering, sensitivity.

I came across a very interesting article on the problem of suffering, and the rise of the passibilism: a 20th century theological theory which states that God partakes in the suffering of humans. A key quote from the article:

"The modern theological response to the existence of profound and senseless suffering is to assert that God suffers with the oppressed; as Kenneth Surin puts it, ‘The only credible theology for Auschwitz is one that makes God an inmate of the place’."

The article is called Human And Divine Suffering

Roughly in context:
Fear is a deep striking emotion and makes you feel alive. I am translating a horror movie and was so affected that I was too scared to work on it at night and postponed it (!) for the next day. Horror is not a tolerable genre for my sensibility, and I can only watch such movies in broad daylight. However, I spent the day doing other things, so translation remained for the next night:D

No comments: